12/26/2008

Have You Visited Your Boat Lately?

As a live aboard, I'm fortunate enough to be able to keep an eye on my vessel at all times and notice small problems before they become big ones. It amazes me how many boat owners don't pay attention to their "summertime toys" during this time of the year. As I walked down my dock today I noticed canvas is blowing off on a couple of boats, one in the water dinghy is full of water, a pull tube has blown into the water and is hanging on to the master vessel only because its line got caught up in the cockpit.

Many vessels are loaded with snow and ice on decks and bridge canvas tops. I have shoveled my boat and dock three times in the last week and I have only seen about 7 owners show up to check on their boats, amongst a few hundred vessels. Below is a post from Hilary Reeves in the Business Examiner that hits the mark. Owners, I know its hard to get out to the marina with the condition our roads are in right now, but with slightly warmer weather this week the snow is getting wet and heavy! Make an effort to check on your boat.

If anyone would like me to take a look at their boat in Skyline Marina, Anacortes and report back on how she is doing, it would be my pleasure to help.

Matthew

Source BE Daily Blog:
Hilary Reeves
Dec. 24, 2008 at 1:05pm

Snow swamps boats

While they're enjoying a holiday break, boatowners might want to check on their vessel. Snow accumulation can weigh a boat down and rain falling onto a boat covered with snow or slush can add even more dangerous weight to the vessel.

"We're seeing many boats, covered in snow, riding low in the water," said Zach Gaston, a department spill responder. "If you have a boat moored on the water, go out and sweep off the snow. Better to do that than having to raise a sunken boat."

A boat owner in up north faces an unplanned post-Christmas expense as crews work to re-float a cabin cruiser that sank at its mooring under the weight of snow at Shelter Bay Marina, near La Conner. The state Department of Ecology oversaw efforts to contain the spread of diesel fuel from the vessel's submerged fuel tank vents.

As with all environmental contaminating events, DOE may look to recover its costs from property owners or others responsible for the damage.

No comments: